Antarctica Family Holiday
Antarctica is the world’s greatest living classroom, a magical place for children of all ages. An A&K Family Holiday to Antarctica (December 21, 2013) introduces children to the magnificent wonders of the Seventh Continent with specially planned activities through the Young Explorers program, led by dedicated Children’s Activity Coordinators.
Beyond special programming, an A&K Family Holiday to Antarctica allows you to discover a once-in-a-lifetime destination with those that matter most — a chance to make memories to treasure for the rest of your life.
An A&K Antarctica Family Holiday highlights include:
- 16-night expedition cruise on board the luxurious, all-balcony 'Le Boreal' to the Falkland Islands, South Georgia Island and Antarctica Peninsula
- Special Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's celebrations and parties
- Three full days exploring the Antarctic Peninsula
- A wide range of complimentary shore and Zodiac excursions throughout
- The support and knowledge of A&K's award-winning Expedition Team, each member with an average of 17 years' worth of field experience
- Young Explorers Club Program (see below) led by marine educator Kristin Wornson
The Young Explorers Program
The Young Explorers Programs is a marine and ecology program designed specifically for A&K's young guests. The Young Explorers Program is designed to enhance the expedition in a way that is both educational and adventurous. In addition to on-shore discoveries, children on board 'Le Boreal' learn and have fun through workshops and hands-on activities.
On Shore Activities
The highlight of any Antarctic expedition is time spent in the field immersed in the environment. During selected landings, Young Explorers enjoy special field activities, in addition to the regular program. This might include a unique field trip in the Falkland Islands, a visit with a researcher in the Antarctic, special photo lessons in the Falkland Islands (see below for info on the Photo Workshop Series), a special hike or a Zodiac cruise to discover wildlife and sights of their choosing.
On Board Activities
Photo Workshop Series
A special digital photo series of tips and instruction in capturing the best images, on the ship as well as in the field.
During sea days, informative, fun and hands-on programs teach Young Explorers about the history and ecology of Antarctica, the Falkland Islands and South Georgia. Topics and activities include:
- Knot-tying lessons
- Squid biology – including a squid dissection alongside an expert
- Learning to chart the ship's course
- Marine mammal safari
- Creative writing
- Nature journaling
- Drawing penguins
To culminate the Antarctic experience, participants in the Young Explorers Program create a book inspired by their explorations from the writings, drawings and photographs they created during the journey. The one-of-a-kind voyage scrapbook is mailed to each contributor as a souvenir of the journey.
'Le Boreal' is home to a dedicated game room, stocked with board games and a Nintendo Wii.