Discover the Southern Ocean
- Falkland Islands
- Often referred to simply as "the Falklands," these islands are an archipelago in the Southern Atlantic Ocean, located 300 miles from the coast of mainland South America. The capital, Stanley, is located in the East Falklands, while the West Falklands is a scantily populated wildlife haven.
- South Georgia
- This remote island is home to thousands of birds and marine life, though it is just as well-known for Ernest Shackleton's historic crossing in 1916, in which he covered 22 miles overland to reach help for his stranded expedition party.
- Ushuaia is the capital of Tierra del Fuego, Argentina. Widely regarded as the southernmost city in the world, picturesque Ushuaia is located in a wide bay, bounded on the north by the Martial mountain range and the Beagle Channel on the south.
- South Shetland Islands
- The South Shetland Islands lie just north of the Antarctic Peninsula. Highlights include Half Moon Bay, Penguin and Deception islands, and a visit to a scientific research station. The cruise to these islands includes crossing the breathtaking Lemaire Channel.
- Deception Island
- This island's forbidding name belies its reputation — for years, it has been considered a safe island for refuge from storms and icebergs. The waters are calm enough that you may have a chance to swim along the historic black beach of Whalers Bay. An abandoned hangar and scientific research buildings also dot the island.
- Antarctic Peninsula
- The northernmost part of mainland Antarctica, this peninsula boasts stunning vistas of soaring peaks, towering glaciers and drifting icebergs. Shore excursions include Neko Harbour with coastlines teeming with nesting gentoo penguin.
Past the rim of geographical discovery, we felt our way forward, scanning, scanning the radiant horizon for the secrets it might at any moment yield. Above the gray flooring a white cliff, seeming without end, slowly emerged. About 10 o'clock another monstrous ice structure tempted us. We altered course to approach it. This time, I was taken in. For a long time that gleaming dome with its sheer cliffs held a tantalizing promise.
Antarctica was just chosen by Travel + Leisure as a Trip of a Lifetime, with A&K named one of the best travel companies operating in the White Continent.
Why Travel to Antarctica with Abercrombie & Kent?
Other tour operators merely help you travel to Antarctica. We take you inside this spectacular destination with A&K-expert-led excursions; intimate lectures by noted scientists we hire solely for our Antarctica journeys; and the best adventure cruiser sailing the Southern Ocean. Here are the top reasons to choose A&K Antarctica travel over the competition.
Save Up to $6,000 Per Cabin on a 2014-15 Antarctica Cruise
Save up to $3,000 per person when you reserve a Category 1-3 cabin by February 28, 2014.
Unmatched Travel Experience in the Region
A&K has operated more than 150 expeditions in 20 years of Antarctica cruising. In addition, we are a 20-year active member of the International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators, as well as a consultative party to the U.S. State Department at the Antarctic Treaty of Nations.
The Finest Guides in the Industry
We employ only the most qualified professionals, including top geologists, ornithologists, historians and marine biologists. On an A&K journey, expect enriching lectures and exceptional guidance both on board and on shore. In addition, our experienced Zodiac drivers are also certified field naturalists — unlike our competitors, who hire just drivers — who provide knowledgeable commentary of sights and wildlife as you cruise, not just when you land. We feature an unbeatable guide-to-passenger ratio of 1:12, meaning countless opportunities for one-on-one time with experts.
A Range of Itineraries and Hands-On Field Experiences
Our diverse selection of itineraries brings Antarctica within your reach, whatever your travel needs. From twice daily excursions to a visit to a scientific research station to close encounters with hardy wildlife, A&K brings you into the heart of this once-in-a-lifetime destination. In fact, you can start your exploration of the White Continent today.
The Best Way to Cruise to Antarctica Today: 'Le Boreal'
Expect the utmost in style and luxury when travelling on board 'Le Boreal' with A&K. We limit the cruiser's complement to 199 guests, meaning more personalized attention and a cabin with a balcony for every party. In addition, our cruises exceed the strictest environmental protocols and focus on educating and providing travellers the opportunity to participate in conservation efforts.
Legendary A&K Service, From Start to Finish
Our programs are fully A&K-operated and English-speaking. Travel to Antarctica with our expedition team, which is hand-selected exclusively by A&K to meet our rigorous service standards. In addition, we truly take care of every detail — our all-inclusive programs include all cruise and land arrangements.